Make your BigCommerce Store Mobile-Friendly (Responsive)
Offer your users a full mobile experience
Technologies: html, css
Internetretailer.com had an article written in 2013 detailing statistics that nearly half of smartphone owners research products via the mobile web. And it appears that shoppers will not purchase on their phone and a checkout that is NOT mobile friendly is mostly the culprit.
If your BigCommerce site was designed more than 2 years ago, there’s a good chance it needs a little updating to make it compatible with mobile devices. If your site isn’t mobile friendly, it does not mean your customers will not be able to view or purchase from your site. It does mean however that it might make it difficult for them to make a purchase. It means they must zoom in each page upon each refresh on elements like images, prices, description and worst of all, form elements, which are crucial for inputting credit card numbers or a person’s address. It creates a feeling of frustration which might turn into your customer bouncing off to another website and look for a similar item elsewhere.
Google recently made it a requirement to have a site mobile friendly in order for that site to come up on search results if the search was done using a mobile device. While many sites are still not responsive or mobile-friendly, this is in a small way another gold-rush opportunity to have your site rank higher while other sites are still not mobile-friendly. To see if your site will be ranked on Google mobile, test your site now with Google Mobile-Friendly Tool.
The Mobile-Friendly Tweak
- Addition of proper code to make the width of the site appear correctly on tablets and mobile phones
- Making of the font size more readable
- Addition of a mobile menu
- Removal of clutter inside the header content
- Floating content will stack above each other
- Image size will be made adaptable to best fit mobile viewport sizes
- Inconsistency review – each page which does not conform to the base styling is carefully reviewed and modified to look good
This tweak can also be applied to a Shopify store, a WooCommerce store or a WordPress blog.